Prospective Homebuyers in need of decent, affordable housing apply for homeownership with their local Habitat for Humanity.
St. Lucie Habitat will conduct a credit check. We do not take credit scores into consideration. However, accounts in collection, charge-offs, or unsatisfied public records will be considered. It is best to resolve credit issues prior to application.
- Willingness to complete the required 300 sweat equity hours to help build your home and other Habitat homes. Work beside volunteers and donors with a gracious, positive attitude and a happy heart!
- Willingness to attend all required Homeownership education classes.
- Be on time to all events, meetings, and opportunities.
- Must live or work in St. Lucie County for 12 consecutives months prior to applying with Habitat.
- All adults in household must pass a criminial background check.
- All members in the household must either be U.S. Citizens or legal permanent residents (Green Card).
If you or someone you know is interested in finding out about how to become a St. Lucie Habitat Homeowner, please call our office to speak with DonnaLea Askman, Program Director, at (772) 464-1117, ext. 104, or DonnaLea@stluciehabitat.org.
1. The applicant's level of need
2. The applicant's willingness to partner with Habitat
3. The applicant's ability to repay a mortgage through an affordable mortgage
As part of their willingness to partner, Habitat's homebuyers invest hundreds of hours of their own labor, called sweat equity, working alongside volunteers and other Habitat homeowners.